No fabric in this week.
I finished up the liberated piecing blocks by putting them together in a small quilt the size of a placemat. This piece is my creative play for the month.
I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll live long enough to make all the mistakes I need to make in quilting. Every project teaches me how much I don’t know, and this project was no exception.
I thought about making it bigger, but I didn’t have more of the blue fabric. That came in a scrap bag pre-cut into rectangles.
It didn’t quite turn out like I expected. That is, no doubt, the beauty of liberated piecing. My mind hasn’t quite caught up to the fact that I am using a very different style to create these days. It will get there in time.
I used the pillowcase method to finish it. I never think it looks as nice as binding and won’t do that again.
I also misjudged the quilting and then tried to compensate by changing the scale to something that didn’t flow naturally for me. I ended up with wonky curves instead of smooth ones. This piece is destined to keep a clay dish from scratching wood furniture, so I can live with it. If I had rethought the quilting I would have run out of thread. I guess it all worked out after all.
I’m linking to Patchwork Times.
Fabric In: 116 yards
Fabric out: 25 1/2 yards
Net Fabric ADDED: 90 1/2 yards