April Progress And May UFO

I made progress on the April UFO but did not finish it. I squared the blocks, decided how to set them, and found and bought the sashing fabric. I plan to keep working on it in May so I don’t lose momentum.
The UFO number for May is 11, which is a Safehouse quilt. The project is on the list three times because I was hoping to make a couple of them. Safehouse is a battered women’s shelter.
I just happen to have a Safehouse top sewn together and ready for quilting.

I would love to get this one finished and get it donated.
Check out how everyone else did on the April UFOs over at Patchwork Times.

Posted in charityquilts, ufos | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Stash Report And Self Control

Nothing finished this week.

I added a half yard of batik for the embroidered bears quilt.

I didn’t find this fabric until my second pass through the shop. I auditioned other fabrics and found that they were a bit muted, even though they didn’t look it on the shelf. I thought the trip would be a bust, but this batik saved the day. My cut was the first one off the bolt, so if I work on this quilt right away I should be able to get more if I need it.

I didn’t look at anything else when I was there. The shop has a whole room of yummy batiks. It can be hard to walk away without buying if I let myself look too much.

I’m linking to Patchwork Times.

Fabric In: 8.875 yards

Fabric out: 10.125 yards

Net Fabric USED: 1.25 yards

Yarn In: 0

Yarn Out: 2 yards

Net Yarn Used: 2 yards

Posted in embroidery, Fabric, stashbusting | Tagged , , | 3 Comments

Those Bells Again

Another slow creative week here. I need off this train.
I did a little better at the end of the week and finished the second bell.

I already decided to switch the colors on the second pillowcase. The bow will be blue and the bells salmon. I want to mix it up a bit to keep the boredom away.
We’re looking at a rainy weekend here, which makes it the perfect weekend to sew.

Posted in embroidery | Tagged | Leave a comment

Back To Basics

After a break from the sewing room, I’m back to forcing myself in there most days. I can’t believe how easy it is to fall out of the habit. It reminds me of resolutions to eat healthier or exercise every day. They sound good at the time.

The pillowcase is coming along, and I’m ready to start quilting the third Stitching To Dye piece. Nothing has changed enough to post a new photo.

I spent about an hour auditioning fabric for the bear blocks over the weekend. Hard to believe that in my bazzilion yards of fabric, this was all I found that looked good as sashing.

I don’t think that will cover it.

I’m off to the quilt shop Saturday to see what I can find that will work. I poked around a bit last night at quilt group and saw some promising yellows. As much as I hate to buy more fabric, I’m not seeing a way around it.

I just need to make sure I stick to my very short list.

Posted in embroidery, Fabric, ufos | Tagged , , | 3 Comments

Stash Report And Little Stitches

No fabric in or out this week.

I did some reorganization yesterday and put all my homeless fabric into a dresser. I’m happy to say I didn’t fill it, but all that fabric was overwhelming. I now have two dressers of fabric, compared to half a dresser of clothes.

At least it motivated me to work on something yesterday.

No changes on the quilt in process. I spent yesterday pulling backing and batting, cutting it to size and figuring out the quilting design.

I also finished embroidering one of the bells on the pillowcase.

I used two strands of DMC floss for the flowers and leaves. I wasn’t sure about the colors when I started, but they are working out. I don’t know why it’s so much harder for me to pick thread colors than it is to pick fabric that goes together. One of life’s great mysteries.

I’m linking to Patchwork Times.

Fabric In: 8.375 yards

Fabric out: 10.125 yards

Net Fabric USED: 1.75 yards

Yarn In: 0

Yarn Out: 2 yards

Net Yarn Used: 2 yards

Posted in embroidery, stashbusting | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Knowing When To Stop

The Stitching To Dye quilt #3 is now a finished top.

There was a bit of auditioning in the sewing room of plain borders and a piano key border, but this quilt wants to stay simple. It told me not to add borders and to finish it with a facing.

Such a smart quilt. I think skipping borders is the right plan because there will be some embellishment added after the quilting.

And if it wants to tell me how to quilt it, I’m listening.

Posted in artquilts, dyeing | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Stash Report And Putting It Together

I started sewing the hatchet blocks together into a top.

I added some spacers to break up the pattern. I was back to that hot mess thing without them.
I feel that this one needs a pieced border, but I could change my mind once the top is sewn.
I have to put in a plug here for the hatchet ruler. The blocks go together nicely without a lot of fuss to match seams. I made a throw quilt using a similar block pattern several years ago without the ruler, and it was a lot harder. I’m not much of a ruler girl. This quilt has me rethinking that.

No fabric in or out this week. April will likely be a quiet stash month.
I’m linking to Patchwork Times.
Fabric In: 8.375 yards
Fabric out: 10.125 yards
Net Fabric USED: 1.75 yards
Yarn In: 0
Yarn Out: 2 yards
Net Yarn Used: 2 yards

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment